Chikmagalur is truly one of the most breathtaking locations in India and boasts an array of entertaining activities. From mountain peaks and waterfalls to temples and animal sanctuaries, there is no end to the wonderful experiences waiting for you at this incredibly scenic locale. To help our traveler get the most out of their Chikmagalur visit, we’ve listed our top picks to make your stay the experience of a lifetime.
Here are the places you absolutely must visit:
Tour the Mountain Valleys and Ranges
- Mullayanagiri Mountain Range: Home to the highest peak in Karnataka, the Mullayanagiri in Chikmagalur stands tall at a dizzying 2000 meters. Famous for their mountain ranges, Chikmagalur is mostly popular for trekking and nature hikes through the expansive scenery.
- Baba Budangiri: The Baba Budangiri mountain range is one of the most prominent attractions where one can find three different caves. It is said that there were three Siddhas buried here and in their honour, an annual festival is hosted in these caves. Famous for their beauty and mystery, these caves are definitely a must-do on the list of places to see in Chikmagalur. Read more about it on our blog.
- Kudremukha: Placed at an altitude of 1800 m above sea level, Kudremukha is a mountain range and a high peak in Chikmagalur. As the hill resembles the head of a horse, it was aptly named ‘kudre’, meaning horse and ‘mukha’ meaning head in Kannada.
Picnic by the Waterfalls
- Kadambi Falls: There is no better place to have a family picnic than by a cascading waterfall. Kadambi falls is a spectacular waterfall that you must explore and it is conveniently located close to the Kudremukh national park, named after the Kudremukha peak.
- Manikyadhara Falls: Visit the Manikyadhara waterfalls which are perfect for sightseers all year round. The untouched surroundings also have lush & thrilling trekking trails; indeed the perfect way to work up a healthy appetite.
- Buttermilk Falls: Drive through the dense western ghats and cruise past lush coffee estates to reach the glorious Buttermilk falls. What makes this experience truly unique is that you can drive all the way to the top of the falls for a truly majestic view. Trek your way back down or even take one of the many jeeps which are conveniently waiting near the top of the falls. This experience is one for the books.
Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary
Increase your odds of seeing the elusive tiger by visiting the Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary, known to be part of the “Project Tiger” initiative which has an estimated 33 tigers on the reserve. Located within the northwest of Chikmagalur, it is one of the most popular tourist attractions. Perfect for a day outing, the sanctuary is also home to leopards, chitals, sambhars and wild boars among several other animals. Be sure to carry your camera to capture some amazing wildlife shots.
A traveller’s paradise, Chikmagalur is the perfect holiday destination for solo travellers and families alike as you are truly spoiled for choice with a wide range of incredible activities. Make memories which will last you a lifetime at this heavenly holiday destination which will leave you relaxed, rejuvenated and truly refreshed.